Navigation Basics

Author: TEXN

The topic of Guide or Information: Navigation Basics | Own Location

Last Edit Date: 12-7-2022

Where am I? Let’s find out!

Here is a quick run down on how to find your location on a map without using friendly markers or GPS, and with very limited visual reference.

The first portion of the video explains the process using vanilla assets only. The second portion explains finding your position with the help of Simple Map Tools from the ARMA Steam workshop.

Regards,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLJlJiX9ik

I’d like to see Simple Map Tools added… I use it a lot for measuring distance due to how the map scaling works and the inaccuracies of the visual tools provided.

Of course I learned how to do this half a million years ago with paper and it doesn’t all translate well in-game… and my memory is that of dry sand so I probably get most of it wrong anyhow. Regardless, it beats practicing orienteering in the back yard.

I just realized that any server that disables your location on the map also disables the shift click magic dot that this tutorial relies on.

TEXN here,

I reviewed an excellent video on topography/map reading. However, the video got the X and Y axis reversed. No way to recover from that, so I removed it from consideration.01

Regards,