Good Bye NAK???

Is it me? Have I just been playing ARMA too much? Have I spent too much time on the dark and depressing Quicksilver server, where NAK admins seem to forbid the SUN to ever appear? I have spent considerable time on tropical islands, and I can assure you, the SUN DOES come out on occasion. Yes, I know - Dark, shadowy days are just another factor that helps the poor overpowered AI be even more impossible to see - like they really need that! In truth, I am beginning to feel boredom wash over me. Play on the Apex server is feeling very formulaic these days. And that formula seems to be to just overwhelm the players with huge numbers seeded liberally through every sector of the AO, and sometimes now, even well outside it. The need for strategy and tactics has never been strong on NAK servers. But currently it is of no use at all. What ever happened to creativity? The idea of this type of server should essentially be a game of Admins vs. Players. The Admins use their limited resources to the best of their ability to hold off the human opponents. The Human opponents, with their limited assets attempt to outguess the crafty admins, using strategy and tactics, as they advance to take the objective. This type of game play is possible only if both sides have limited resources.

In all conflict, opposing forces have limited resources, and success or failure depends upon how they use them. The AI on Quicksilver now seems to be heavily seeded throughout all sectors of the map like a tightly planted cornfield. The Admins it seems, have access to unlimited numbers of one’s and zero’s, and show no restraint in using them! Their resources have no limit! Well boys and girls - that’s a recipe for boredom!

The solution: Limit the resources available to Admins when setting up all missions. (some of the side missions are good examples of this) Give the Human players some idea of the size of the the opposing force, even if it’s just a simple, small, medium, or large. (actual numbers would be nice) Instead of just broadcasting massive numbers of AI all over the map and turning the server into a FPS shooter for teens with overflowing hormones and twitchy trigger fingers, put some burden on the admins to come up with creative use of more limited forces, and turn the players into thinkers instead of just frantic defensive shooters trying just to survive long enough to even get near the objective. Limited resources turn the game into a puzzle, and not just a sweaty shoot-em-up.

I have been playing on NAK servers for years now, and gladly contribute to those who are making it all possible. I would like to continue, but lately you guys are losing my interest, and the solution is not that difficult. If you find it doesn’t work, it’s not a big deal to revert. Don’t wait too long. I have already invested heavily in sim racing hardware. Hopeful. Bosco19

Hello, Bosco:

Unfortunately, for us to do this a moderator or admin would need Zeus access on Tanoa and be online. This may be possible for an event, like Tactical Tuesday, but not a 24/7 scenario. Do you attend our Tactical Tuesdays? They start at around 7 PM EST on Tuesday. An admin with Zeus access curates the event.

I have always wanted to participate in NAK sessions. They don’t fit in with the family schedule. Don’t understand why Zeus would be required. Just do normal setups but limit the numbers of AI. Spend a bit more time to optimize placements. make some choices. You can’t cover every area. I really do see this type of player vs. A.I. server to actually be game play of admins vs players. I don’t have enough knowledge to play Admin, but if I could I would actually see the challenge of trying to beat the players with limited resources to be very engaging. Just playing the other side of the coin, so-to-speak. Admins vying for ranking as most interesting scenario creator perhaps? Maybe players would hate it. But you could test it.