Mod Request: Advanced Train Simulation

For question, comments, and problems with mods.
Individual mod authors are responsible for the content of their mods, but we will do our best to help a member of the NAK Community if they are having an issue on our servers.

Moderator: VileAce

Deep1-1

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

January 3rd, 2020, 10:27 am

Hello guys,

after putting some time into researching the topic and thinking about the pros and cons, I think it is time for me to file this mod request.

I hereby request implementation of Advanced Train Simulator to the TANOA server

Name of the mod: Advanced Train Simulator (ATS)
Server to be modded: Tanoa Quicksilver Server
Estimated effort: low
Estimated benefit: intermediate, depending of players

Pros:
1.) The mod is a server side mod. Once installed, it allows players to get in the trains that are part of the TANOA map in vanilla without
any client mod requirement
2.) The mod is quite lean in terms of resources. During testing, I ran a local server on a MSI GE63 RAIDER RGB 8RE laptop and managed
to keep up 40fps with 10 players connected, while having 45fps with no player but myself online.
3.) The mod gives a massive boost of tactical possibilities to our TANOA community, as it provides an additional means of transportation.
When thinking about players being able to approach AOs by train without the need of vehicle or helicopter transport, my heart jumps
with joy.
Additionaly, it will allow players to maneuver the map easily and - moreover - whole fireteams to use additional ways of insertion into
an AO.
4.) The trains run at a speed of 43km/h. While this is low considered helicopters and vehicles of course, the can be used by any player in
any role and are way more easy to handle than i.e. helicopters (which everybody can as long as not enough transport pilots are online).
5.) As far as intended, the railroad tracks can be added to those already existing and therefor enlarge the possibilities even more.

Cons:
1.) Yes, implementation might require additional work than just instalation due to the customization that the TANOA server already received.
2.) The impact on FPS might require additional testing on higher player counts, of course.
3.) The mod might render transport pilots sort of obsolete, while I can not imagine that it will render the role of transport pilot totally obsolete at all.
4.) The trains need to follow tracks, of course. So, they are easy to use, but only follow their dedicated routes.

Summing up, I see a lot of additional possibilities by usage of this mod, especially for those players seeking for new tactical approaches for engaging
an AO.
As a matter of fact, I would love to have this added possibilities and therefor recommend this mod for implementation.
"Forgiving is harder then being forgiven."
"Think, press, talk..."

VileAce
Site Admin

NAK Tac

NAK Command

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

January 3rd, 2020, 11:50 am

In all the tests of the train mod, and the couple times we have used it in NAK Tac events, the mod was very problematic (many times the train would not move at all). Many of the features of the mod do not work unless it is also run client-side, which we do not do on the NAK servers in general.

I think you might be very much underestimating what is involved in designing the Tanoa mission. Adding this train mod might take 200 - 300 hours of development (and this is very conservative). You just can not simply add the items in the Eden editor. Every mission would have to be checked and tested (a few missions block the tracks and have to be removed or redone). Any new tracks would have to be procedurally generated, adding all the tracks and leaving then on the map at all times would require creating a custom map, as you would not want to have 1000's of pieces of track on the map as items. All of the logistic (sling load, cargo loading, etc) mods would have to be checked or modified (The current vanilla Arma code does not allow loading of items into or onto train cars). As far as the current Tanoa mission is concerned I do not see where it would add to the existing missions, and would require new missions and re-write of the existing.

Deep1-1

NAK Elite

NAK Donor

January 3rd, 2020, 12:06 pm

Wow, that is indeed a lot of work. But well, I admit you know that way better than I do, especially with the history of trying to use it on the server.
It looked simple and easy for me when trying it, but I understand that a prudent 200hrs + development is not worth it.

As a matter of fact, I consider my own request denied and kindly ask for closure of this threat.
"Forgiving is harder then being forgiven."
"Think, press, talk..."

• Information