Advanced Compositions

For general issues related to being Zeus. Feel free to post tips and hints to help other Zeus.
Ollie

August 11th, 2017, 4:56 pm

I've been working in Eden editor creating and saving compositions. I figure this will speed up the process of making missions while Zeus-ing and make it easier for me. I'd like to thank Allen for showing me how to do this.

I think it would be helpful for all of us to share our creations at least the ones we're willing to share here. This should make Zeus-ing more fun, easier, quicker and allow us to focus on a higher detail and immersion for the players. Though there should be a few ground rules.
  • Give credit to the creator of the composition
  • Describe composition in the post - pictures are a plus
  • Stay within the NAK Zeus rules
  • Share it in a .txt file attached to your post - DO NOT post the code in your post
  • If sharing large mission type compositions break it up into smaller .txt files
  • DO NOT SHARE MALICIOUS files - I'm pretty sure this would get you prema banned

VileAce
Site Admin

August 11th, 2017, 11:38 pm

Please be aware the the ability to run mission files as you are recommending may be removed at any time. It is against server rules to do what you are recommending. Even thought it is a text file created by Achilles it is still a script. Rule 6 says 6. No use of Scripts. Running scripts may get you banned from the server.

There is another way to share true compositions without running scripts. Unfortunately it is not as easy as sharing a text file.

The recommended way to create compositions is by using the development Tools>Advanced Composition module. Place the module on the map and click the new icon, then select the items you wish to be added to the composition and press "Enter" then Assign a category and a name.

You may then use this composition by selecting Spawn>Advanced Composition module. Then select your saved composition from the list.

Unfortunately the hard part comes in sharing. To share a composition, the creator would need to place it on the map, then to save it you would just need to follow the steps to create a new composition, and select the items placed by the creator.

I have already seen people abusing the Execute Code module and experimenting with what can be done. Running commands in this method can have an adverse effect on the server. If it becomes an issue the player may lose their Zeus abilities or be banned from NAK Servers.

Ollie

August 12th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Well that sucks. hmm didn't realize that saving sql and executing them falls under rule #6. What affects does it have on the server?

Ollie

August 12th, 2017, 3:29 pm

I've been playing around with the Advanced Compositions saving them via the development tools like you've suggested and not using sqf/execute code module and here's the pros and cons. I'm not aware of the effects on the server side so I won't include that.

Pros
  • Can place them anywhere
  • Don't have to alt-tab out of game to get code
  • Easy to navigate window saving and categories
Cons
  • AI not functioning, basically just a prop they do die but will function as AI.
  • Vehicles with AI will be outside vehicle also see above
  • AI Way Points don't work nor are saved
  • Vehicles won't work properly
  • Have extra steps to get objects and props to be moved independently*
  • After moving them to correct height they don't function correctly see above
*Add all objects, Disable simulation, then move object. Though this makes the object unusable. When you enabled simulation the object snaps back into original location in relation to the reference object. So the first Pro is kind of pointless when placing them in different locations.

Basically it's only good for props when you are using them in the exact same location created. Otherwise pointless to use. Maybe we can evaluate the use of sqf and execute code module. Maybe there's a way we can still use it after being reviewed on impact on server.

VileAce
Site Admin

August 12th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Correct Compositions are not intended for AI, it is to put down elements that you could then add AI to.

It is a security risk to allow running of scripts on the server. Scripts also negatively effect server performance. During the pilot tryouts we were using the execute code module, but we had to restart the server every 45min or so, because of the performance issues related to executing scripts. I believe that when executing the scripts it creates a memory leak that eventually causes the server to "crash".

The fact that we allow the Zeus to use Achilles, at all, has been a delicate balance between security, performance and convenience.

Ollie

August 13th, 2017, 11:02 am

That is a bummer. Hopefully in the future something can be figured out.

VileAce
Site Admin

August 13th, 2017, 12:17 pm

It is figured out. Do not run scripts on the Zeus server. :!:

Ollie

August 13th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Well yeah it's figured out now. But like my original post says its use makes its better for Zeus and players. But since it affects the server it isn't worth it. What I'm saying is hopefully in the future there's a mod or update, or something server side that will allow us to use something like sqf/execute without the issues that are current.

• Information